Tips on Properly Storing E-Liquid
by Blake Brown 1 COMMENT APRIL 3, 2014
The electronic cigarette industry has endured scrutiny since birth, and one topic that seems to continuously be thrown into our face is child safety. As if we don’t have children of our own, those who oppose this industry try to paint it red, implying that the fuel for our e-cigarettes are a serious threat to children. The fact is, e-liquid contains nicotine and for anyone that ingests it in a liquid form would face serious harm to the body and possibly death.
However, if we’re going to talk about e-liquid in that matter, shouldn’t we talk about other liquids that could be harmful to children as well, such as the everyday items we have stored in our homes – like bleach, window cleaner, kitchen cleaner, bathroom cleaner, and pretty much anything containing ammonia. The point is, none of us would like to see a child experience any harm, and it’s our job to protect them since they can’t protect themselves. In a perfect world we would have child safety locks on cabinets that houses our cleaners and child safety caps on wall outlets, among others – but the truth is, we’re not in a perfect world.
Fortunately for us, when it comes to e-liquid, we can beat the non-stop media that pin-points our industry as the devil because of the e-liquid threat to children – by preventing any future incidents from happening with proper storage. In this article, we’ll give you a few tips on properly storing your e-liquid out of reach from children, as well as a few extra tips to ensure your e-liquid keeps its quality.
Note: Though most carry and distribute only bottles with a childproof cap, there are some that do not. With that said, if the e-liquid manufacturer you purchase from does not carry childproof bottle caps, please encourage them to do so.
1. Storing e-liquid in a high kitchen cabinet will be a great solution that will prevent children from being able to reach or come in contact with e-liquid.
2. Being that children tend to act like monkeys and climb the kitchen counters, a great alternative for storing your e-liquid in a high place would be the top shelf in your closet. If you’re a hoarder of e-liquid, something as simple as a shoe box would be ideal.
3. In the perfect world we would all store e-liquid in the most hard to reach place for our children to get to, but that isn’t the case. The truth is, many of us have a bit of a lazy side and think storing e-liquid in such remote areas of our home is a big hassle. That said, a lock box with a key or combination lock would be most convenient.
Additional Storing Tips: Maintaining E-Liquid Quality
4. E-Liquid is very sensitive to light and heat, therefore storing your e-liquid where the sun can come in contact with it will pose quite the issue and will eventually weaken the quality of your e-liquid.
5. To maintain your e-liquids quality, it’s recommended that you store it in a dark and cool place. Tips 1, 2, and 3 are ideal for storing your e-liquid in a dark place, and as long as the e-liquid maintains a normal room temperature, everything will be fine. Some even believe that a refrigerator is the perfect place to store e-liquid, but I wouldn’t recommend it due to the mixed opinions of the placement, and not to mention a child can mistaken it for something else.
6. Though many of us enjoy the soft plastic bottles that has become an industry standard for e-liquid, if storing e-liquid for long periods of time, the dark glass bottles are better for maintaining the quality of e-liquid. The dark glass will prevent e-liquid from being exposed to the light and the e-liquid will maintain its fresh quality.
7. No matter what bottle you’re storing your e-liquid in, always try to avoid from letting air get into the bottle. Each time air makes contact with your e-liquid, it gradually degrades the quality of the e-liquid.